Battle of the Ancre Nov 1916

Map Ancre 63 Naval Division

The attack - The 10th RDF attacked with 24officers and 469 other ranks. 7 officers and 63 other ranks were left in reserve.

War Diary for Ancre Attack on 13 November 1916 (written by H Lecky, Captain , 2nd in command on behalf of Lt Col E St G Smith


In accordance with our BM 868 dated 15th Nov 1916, I have the honour to submit the following history of the action, as regards my Unit from zero hour on.

Before Zero. From the time the battalion entered their assembly places and up to zero, only three minor casualties occurred, one broken ankle, one shell shock and one other wound from shell fire.

Zero. At zero the battalion advanced and occupied our own front line and support trenches (Gordon and Roberts) as laid down. Very few casualties were sustained in doing so, the same being the case whilst in these trenches and up to zero + 46 minutes when we moved forward in four waves. During this time the enemy was bringing his barrage to bear on the ground we had left, Sunken Road, Carnlea and Buckingham Palace Rd. My Battalion HQ being in the latter place.

Zero + 46 min. The battalion advanced in four waves and met little opposition until within 20 yards of the German wires. The mist at this time was very thick and one could only see some 25 yards to the front and flank. At this point the Bosche machine Guns opened a heavy fire more especially in front of my 3 left companies. Also several machine guns were enfilading the line from our left Beaumont Hamel direction. Snipers were busy and were endeavouring to pick off the officers.

My left company commander reports that he was never in touch with the division on his left, nor saw any of them during the preliminary stages of the advance. The majority of the losses sustained were caused immediately in front of the enemy front wire, and especially in front of the strong post which was subsequently found to be a medical dugout, which extended underground from their front their front trench to their reserve trench and which had 4 entrances in each line. This dugout was capable of taking 1500 men, had electric plant installed, an ammunition store and was evidently used to reinforce the different lines as well as an Aid Station. The Bosches had machine guns covering each entrance and various snipers scattered around in between. Two of the entrances in the first line were subsequently bombed by two bombing parties led by 2nd Lts McMahon and Cox, and occupants surrendered. Both officers were wounded in the enterprise and a special report is being rendered about them.

This eased the pressure in the Front on my left, which had been partly held up, and batches of men, led by the few remaining officers and NCOs who collected men around them, went through. Time about 9am. My right company had pushed through with the first advance and carried on to the enemies second line. finding them more or less exposed. Small parties under NCOs were detached to advance and guard the left, and it was two of these parties which Father Thornton afterwards led, and which captured seven Bosches who informed them of the whereabouts of a German Battalion and its HQ, who apparently were taking shelter from our heavies and barrage. These two parties then advanced under Father Thornton and the remainder of the battalion + staff surrendered after some parleying and a little firing ( I append report of Sgt McCormack)

Battalion HQ. I moved forward with by battalion HQ at zero + 1.5 having previously sent an officer over with the first waves to select a suitable HQ in Bosche second line. I also informed by runner the signal section and OC 4th Bedfordshire Regt of the time and place that I was crossing our front parapet. We met no opposition until some 30 yards from the wire when we came into a heavy machine gun fire and fire from snipers. I here lost 2 officers of my HQ and several other ranks. I also came upon Lt Phillips with his section of 190 Brigade Machine Guns and odd Dubliners who were sheltering from the fire in shell holes. As far as I could see there was only one gap in the wire to our right front, and with the aid of Lt Phillips who brought a machine gun to bear in the direction we were being fired on from and also some men who I posted to keep the enemies snipers down, the whole party along with the machine gun section got through the gap ) I here lost Lt Bailey, my adjutant).

On getting into the Bosche front trench, I ordered 2nd Lt McMahon to organise a bombing party and to proceed to the left up the trench and bomb and snipe the Bosches who were holding up my left companies. This he did with ability, and afterwards I found out that 2nd Lt Cox had also on his own initiative gone forward against the strong point with a bombing party and some snipers. The actions of this latter officer I particularly wish to bring to notice, as besides shooting 3 snipers himself, he saved the lives of many of his comrades and permitted the advance on the left front, which was held up, by seizing 2 of the entrances to the Strong Post dugout, capturing the MGs there and the enemy party with them. Going forward again he was dangerously wounded in the head by a bomb flung by a Bosche who had previously surrendered. 2nd Lt McMahon then sent a party down and occupied the Medical dugout, finding the German doctors and some wounded and unwounded German officers and men.

After sending off the bombing party under 2nd Lt McMahon. and trying to clear up the situation on my left hand, I proceeded with my HQ to the second enemy trench, and shortly afterwards got in touch with Major Wills of the 4th Beds Regt, and also Lt Col Cartwright and Lt Col Hutchinson commanding 1st and 2nd Royal Marines Light Infantry. I sent parties to my left and front to clear up the situation. There was a considerable MG enfilading fire coming in to us from my left and left rear. Also snipers all over the place.

Father Thornton had been with me up to this time, and he here left me and he went forward with a party of my men about 30 strong, who had joined us under Sgt McCormack and Sgt Priest. I had no officers left on my staff at that time, all having been killed or wounded, except 2nd Lt Cox who had gone off with the aforementioned bombing party. The patrols on my left came back to say they could not find any of our own troops towards that flank, but that Bosche snipers and MGs were enfilading the ground in that direction. Time about 9am.

Scattered parties of various Battalions now began to arrive, and I found a Strong Post on my left with 190th MG section and one Lewis gun. I saw Lt Col Cartwright and Major Wills again & orders came through to push forward every available man, so I sent forward all available, including 3 guns of the 190th MG Section + Lewis Gun, and got in touch with trench mortars who had arrived in Bosche front line + 188 MG Section, asking the latter to send me on a proportion of his guns, but he replied that he had orders not to go forward, but protect flanks and look out for counter attacks. The mist was still very thick and I could get no information concerning my left.

About 12 noon I fond my left safe, and men belonging to the left companies going forward. 2nd Lt Cox was carried in wounded and some of my men up the trench to the left reported that there was an entrance to a large dugout some distance up in that direction and that two German officers (medical) and others wished to surrender. I sent Lt Commander Sprang to take their surrender, he had preciously arrived at my HQ from the front with Father Thornton and his party + 400 prisoners and I detained him to act as my adjutant as he had no men of his own with him and could not find his own battalion. He did very excellent work while with me.

In the dugout which I made my battalion HQ, one of my runners brought up 12 prisoners absolutely cowed. Lt Commander Sprang informed me that he had been as far as the Beaucourt Road, and that Bosche MGs and snipers were busy there, but no other opposition and small parties off all units were on green line and Station Road. Much the same information I received from the Brigade. Shortly afterwards I received orders to proceed to Hamel with as many men as I could collect. The majority of my men had gone forward and 15 officers had become casualties . It was then dark. I collected what men I could and with the remnants of my staff reported to 190th Infantry Brigade HQ where where we were sent on to support the advance on Beaucourt. My party was used in carrying bombs and sandbags up to the red line. which had been captured by 1 HAC.

In the forenoon of 14th November I received orders to withdraw my men and reorganise on original assembly position and collect all men of 190 Infantry Brigade and occupy Roberts Trench. Stragglers belonging to 188th and 189th brigades were to be sent back to their HQ. I according collected all men and occupied Roberts Trench until relieved on the morning of 16th Nov when I led my men back into shelters on the Englebelmer - Martinsart Road.

Transcript of Nov 1916 for Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Return to 10th Royal Dublin Fusiliers front page