HMS Fauvette

HMS Fauvette

Fauvette as a civilian ship in 1912

The Fauvette was an ex-Store Carrier, seconded to the Navy in March 1915. She became an "armed boarding steamer"

6th August 1915 the 6th & 7th Battalions Royal Dublin Fusiliers were transhipped to HMS Fauvette and three other ships and departed for Suvla Bay in Gallipoli, arriving at 4am the following morning. They disembarked 7 Aug 1915,

She was mined and sunk 9th March 1916 off East Coast of Britain. She hit two mines laid by the small German minelaying submarine UC 7 off North Foreland . The armed boarding steamer HMS Fauvette was steaming towards the Thames Estuary when she struck two mines in quick sucession off North Foreland 51.27.55 N 02.56.42 E. The ship went down in four minutes, drowning two officers and twelve naval ratings, with the Commander and remaining members of the crew managing to board the port side lifeboats to safety. The wreck remained pointing North and upright on the seabed until after the First World War when it was blown up as it was classed as a maritime shipping hazard with the demolition of the wreck leaving a field of debris on the seabed.

Over the years, Trawler men eventually become aware of this wreck site and charted it as un fishable rough ground, like most sites that cannot be fished and the area soon become a dumping ground for debris trawled up in the nets from other areas. Eventually the rough ground transformed into an artificial reef becoming a safe haven for marine life.

 

7th Battallion Royal Dublin Fusiliers